Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sautéed green beans with homemade mustard

OK, so this recipe unlike all my others is not actually gluten-free since I use Kodiak Nut Brown beer in the mustard.  Since I'm only gluten-intolerant and don't have the much more serious Celiac disease, I can totally get away with cheating a bit.  In fact, I've declared this as my summer of drinking beer.  I went to the Haines Beer Fest in the end of May, indulged in beers from all the different Alaskan breweries, and decided that drinking beer doesn't affect me the same as eating a bagel does.  Some of my gluten-intolerant friends claim they can drink beer without issues.  I'd like fully believe that I don't react to the gluten in beer, but I can live in a bit of denial for the summer.

When I was at the farmer's market recently, I stocked up on some local produce including some fantastic green beans.  My sister had mentioned a few weeks ago that she had made a lovely green bean salad with a mustard vinaigrette, but I didn't get the recipe from her.  Instead I decided to just sauté the green beans and then add some homemade Kodiak nut brown mustard.





Kodiak nut brown mustard (prepare the mustard the day before to allow time for the chemical reaction between the mustard powder and the liquids for the flavor to mellow out)

Ingredients
1/2 c mustard powder
1/2 c brown mustard seeds
1/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 c Kodiak nut brown ale
1 tsp salt
2 heaping tbsp corn starch


In a sauce pan, mix together the mustard powder, mustard seeds, and brown sugar.


Add the vinegar and beer.  I usually let it sit for a few hours at this point since I think this is where there's suppose to be a chemical reaction between the mustard powder and the liquids).


And the salt.

Stir in the cornstarch so it's completely dissolved with no lumps.


In order to activate the cornstarch to thicken the mustard, heat over a medium heat until the mustard begins to simmer.  Stir constantly until the mustard thickens up, and then remove from heat.


Spoon into glass jars and refrigerate.



So, I bought these green beans at the farmer's market, but they were this brilliant purple color!  I asked the farmer if they were just like regular green beans except for the color.  He said yes and that they'd turn green when I cooked them.  I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, so I was super curious to see if they would change colors.

First I cleaned them and chopped them into shorter lengths.


Then I heated a bit of olive oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat.


Into the pan...

A bit of salt...

And to my amazement (and a little bit of disappointment), they did start turning green!


After they were properly sautéd and still had a bit of crispness to them, I added two dollops of mustard. 


Then I removed from the heat and mixed thoroughly.


I thought about fixing something else to go with the green beans, but ended up just eating a big plate of green beans for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment