Sunday, August 5, 2012

Homemade Kettle Corn

Popcorn is one of those delightful foods.  The Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper had an esteemed place  in our house.  Growing up, Thursday night was Family Night where we would watch TV as a family (lots of Cosby Show-type sitcoms), eat popcorn, and drink soda.  I don't really remember ever drinking much soda outside of Thursday nights, but we were allowed to drink it with our popcorn.  One of my earliest memories is from montessori school where one time the teachers put a big sheet down on the floor and we all sat at the edge of it; an uncovered popcorn maker sat in the middle of the sheet with fresh popcorn ejecting in all directions.  We weren't allowed to get up, but we all scrambled to grab any popcorn that landed near us.

Somewhere along the way, I've come to recognize popcorn as a legitimate dinner.  It's perfect for those long days when you get home and just want something quick.  To be truly lazy, I usually just throw some kernels in a brown paper bag (the lunch bag size) and pop it into the microwave for ~1:45 to 2 minutes.  Then a little melted butter and some Penzey's savory Northwood Fire seasoning spice and voilà--  Dinner! 

But lately, I've been craving kettle corn-- and I don't always make it to the Farmer's Market on Wednesday and Saturdays to buy it.  As I discovered, kettle corn is incredibly easy to make which is a bad thing since it is incredibly easy to eat as well.


Ingredients
1/4 c oil
1/4 c sugar
1 c popcorn


I used olive oil since that's what I had on hand, but just plain vegetable oil works great too.  I think a more refined white sugar may work better than the sugar that I used-- it clumped pretty easily in the oil, but once again, it was what I had on hand.  I've also heard that if you use brown sugar it will taste more like caramel corn.  Perhaps next time I'll try that.

Directions
Start by heating the oil in a large pot.  I begin with the pot off on a high temperature to get the oil heated.  Later, I'll reduce the heat.


I've heard that you can test it the oil is hot enough by throwing a few kernels in, but I use it more as a test to see if the oil sizzles around them than if they start popping.


 Add the sugar to the oil.


and stir to prevent clumps.  I get clumps anyways though... (this is where I think the finer grain sugar would be an asset).


Add in the popcorn.  I don't usually measure when making popcorn, except I do when making kettle corn. 


Stir the kernels to coat with oil and sugar.



Reduce the heat to medium and cover with a lid.  Shake the pot every minute or so to prevent burnt popcorn.



Having used this pot many time before, I know approximately how full the popcorn will be when mostly popped and when to pull the pot of the heat. But it's time to pull the pot off the heat when its 2-3 seconds between pops.


Then let the popcorn sit off the heat for a few minutes to let the last remaining kernels pop.  I uncover the pot so that the popcorn stays crisp and not soggy.


And then into my popcorn bowl for dinner!


I have a dedicated bowl for popcorn.  It was given to me by my friend Elise as part of a birthday gift many years ago.  I think of her every time I eat popcorn out of my popcorn bowl.  The funny thing is that the food I associate most with Elise is spaghetti-- so much so our nicknames revolve around it-- we are the Spaghetti Sisters.  I first met her when we were both working in the same first grade classroom.  Before even meeting Elise, the classroom teacher announced to me that Elise & I would get along great because we both had similar shaped black glasses and both had brown hair.  Sure enough, we hit it off great, but I suspect there's more to our friendship than similarities in glasses and hair.

So one day, after school had let out, Elise and I were in the teachers' lounge and there was a leftover pre-packaged school lunch-- spaghetti.  We were devouring it together when a teacher I hadn't met before walked in.  She asked if we were sisters which we thought was hilarious because beyond the similar shaped black glasses and brown hair, we really don't look that much alike.  That's when Elise declared that we were Spaghetti Sisters and I quipped that spaghetti sauce is thicker than blood.  And from then on out, she has always been "Spag" and I am "Saucy".

1 comment:

  1. You are both crazy spaghetti sisters. Nice story. Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete