Sunday, January 13, 2013

"What to do with this leftover rice?" Rice Pudding

I like rice, but it's hard to make in single-serving quantities, and it's never as good as leftovers as it is freshly cooked.  And I get bored with food fairly easily, so after eating something once or twice, any additional leftovers tend to sit in my refrigerator until the take on a life of their own (hence why I love dinner parties since many mouths leave few leftovers!).  A few days ago, thanks to Trader Joe's Indian Curry Simmer Sauce, I made some chicken curry and Basmati rice.  Since I'm hiding away in my parents' cabin in the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia writing my dissertation, there's no one here to eat the leftovers but me.  And I'm avoiding driving down into town to have to buy groceries.

So, what to do with this leftover rice?  And then it occurred to me... Rice Pudding!


 I scoured through the kitchen cupboards and found the ingredients I thought would work best...

Rice Pudding

Ingredients

1 c milk
1 egg
2 tbsp maple syrup
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
small splash of vanilla extract
1 c leftover cooked rice
1 tbsp butter
1/8 c craisins
1/8 c sliced almonds



Directions

 In a sauce pan, add the milk and egg.  Mix together thoroughly.  Add in the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.  Then add in the rice.


Over a low heat, bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer until much of the liquid has evaporated (10 minutes or so?)  Stir regularly so the bottom doesn't burn



Once the pudding is cooked, stir in the butter.  Add the craisins and sliced almonds.



 While the rice pudding turned out great, the best part was sitting outside in the sunshine and 60° weather while enjoying it...


and listening to the bubbling brook.


No comments:

Post a Comment